Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 15: Stiff Neck

Phil had a stiff neck when he woke on Saturday. In a few hours, it had grown so painful that when he turned his head, it triggered a horrible migraine.

I have been keeping track, and that is the ninth day this year that he has been incapacitated. If he worked five hour weeks, that would be almost a third of 2014 that he has been out. Major stink, too, that being sick isn't a fun reason not to be working. If I wanted to take two weeks off, I'd rather have time to travel or time to myself.

What triggered this headache? Was it too much exhaust inhalation up in the barn the day before? He ran the tractor for some time. Was it just a muscular issue? Is the air quality in the house or on our bed so bad?

I have no idea.

I have listened to about five hours of homeopathy lectures while I cooked and cleaned this week. One of the salient questions is the question of health. Homeopathic theory says something lovely like, "The freedom mentally, emotionally, and physically to be the best you that you can be." And I think that's lovely. But the lecture this week was even more simple. "Do you have a feeling of well-being when you get up in the morning?"

That was an interesting question. I would say that in the last few weeks, I've started to not have disturbing dreams about mishaps in airports. So that is good. But on all those mornings that I had bad dreams, I did not have a feeling of well-being, but rather a feeling of dread.

Phil said something surprising. "I wake up with a stuffy head every morning. And every morning I wonder if it will develop into a migraine or if, through using the neti pot and getting outside and not working too long on the computer, if he will be able to avoid the headache.

I had no idea. That is not freedom physically. I need to study more, as quickly as I can, and figure out what to do for him.

While Phil was having a hard time, Caleb, too, was having a hard time. He had a few bowel movements daily from birth, until two weeks ago he suddenly just stopped one day. Five days later, he had one. Five days after that, he still hadn't gone again.

Online sources suggested that once a week poop is not uncommon. Breastmilk is a perfect infant food, and his body is clearly growing well, so it's not overly surprising that he would absorb virtually all the nutrients.

But he suddenly went from calm and content to absolutely shrieking in pain, frantic, horrible, grating screams.

After a little warm water enema (a few teaspoons only) and some Nux vomica to aid digestion, he pooped some (not as much as I would expect for such an intense response), then fell asleep. I was worried I would be awake all night, but he only woke once with that scream. Another dose of Nux vomica, another untroubled sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Were you able to bring Phil to the doctor to examine his neck? While you can still move around and do stuff while having a stiff neck, its pain can affect the coordination of the whole body aside from the headache that it might cause. Besides, it’s really alarming that he always felt that way every morning. It might be a sign of some other problem that you guys aren't aware of. Anyway, I hope that Phil is doing well now. Take care!

    Jacqueline Hodges @ Back and Neck Center of Brick

    ReplyDelete