Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February 2: One of the Sea-Sick Ones


About a month late, here is our annual "around the first of the year" photo, with boys ages 0, 5, 7, 10, 11.

I left Phil with the boys when I headed to church. Phil had been soaking while they headed to bed, and I didn't have the heart to rush four boys through the bathing process before 9:45. I relished my leisurely bath; they could have the same thrill throughout the morning.

That ended up being a good choice. When I talked to Phil at noon, he said they had just gotten clean. And, yes, each child had left his own ring around the tub.

Endearingly, not only had 5-year-old Joe played with the stackable tub toys. So had 7-year-old Abraham. And 10-year-old Isaiah.

They all had their natural skin tones on their hands! Their feet were pink, and not orange! I wasn't sure it was possible, but it was!

We all headed out in the afternoon to visit with friends and watch the Superbowl. As former Coloradans, I was cheering for the Broncos. Phil, a USC alum, was torn: cheer for the SeaHawks, with their former USC coach Pete Carroll? Or cheer for our former home team?

I have a fun memory of the first time the Broncos went to the Superbowl, in early 1998. I was in college at the University of Colorado and the game was a good game. Meaning, it was close, and tense, and the teams were evenly matched. My friend, a true fan, yelled at the screen, "If the Broncos don't win, we're all going to die!"

Then she paused, thought about what she'd just yelled, and said, more quietly, "Someday."

I couldn't stomach the game today. I missed the opening kickoff, but when I got downstairs after a minute, and saw the points from the safety ... boo.

Happily for me, we were having a little Amy birthday celebration, too.

Incredibly, our friends had 35 candles even, so I got to blow them out!

Carrot cake, chili, conversation with friends ... I had a good time.

Even if I do feel mildly Sea-Sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment