Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 14: It's Always Something

Because of the timing of the photos, Phil had done only an evening milking on Thursday. The cows gave about the same as he gets with two milkings, though I suspect that, if he did that regularly, the total output would diminish fairly quickly.

Milking did not go smoothly today. In the morning, the pulsator on the pump would not work, so he had to milk by hand. That is long and stressful. It's always something!

Phil found the instructions for the milk machine. Thankfully, he just needed to take the pulsator apart, dry it off or blow it out, and put it back together. It worked for the evening milking. How lovely not to have to buy another one. (One semi-large repair is plenty for a week, I think.)

In the evening, though, Phil again had trouble. We had forgotten to pick up alfalfa cubes while in town, the cows' special treat while he milks. Bianca, grumpy about having no treat, kicked Phil in the head.

Between Charity's continued reluctance to come to the milk stand and Bianca's determined peevishness, I glad he's dealing with it entirely.

I had better ice cream success, and the boys appreciated ice cream for breakfast. I figured out about the quantity to use; the ingredients were colder; the time only slightly longer than predicted. I reduced the sugar, too, in all recipes by about a third, and thought that made it not quite so unbearably sweet.

Phil hung the light in the bathroom that finally reached us, after taking the slow boat from China. I love it. Simple, elegant. (At one house we've lived in, we had the dated round "theater" type lights. This is much more to my taste.)

After our conversation about schedules, I woke at 5:15, excited to see how much I could get done on one. I didn't get far, but the boys and I had a productive day of school. I wonder how much of that was because of the early attempts at scheduling, and how much was simply because none of us left the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment