Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 20-22: March Madness


Phil had a second long day in town on Thursday. He comes home and talks to me for hours whenever he's been away: who he saw, what they said, how the errands went, and so on. He has had an odd week of headaches; does he need a new pillow? A trip to a homeopath with certification? Regular doctors have never been able to figure out his headaches. We were the ones who figured out the MSG (and all the "Secret Names of MSG" connection); we know about chemical poisoning (like fumes from PVC joining). But this current iteration has me flummoxed.

Happily, he only lost Thursday afternoon to the headache. He managed to get the milking done once home from errands, and then he sat in the tub for hours.

I'm so thankful we have a tub.

Friday was a kitchen day for me. I had bought up organic apples before they sold out (small organic apple crop this year), and they were starting to turn, so I made three final apple pies. Then, because I had extra pie crust, I made two pumpkin pies, too. I've always envied Harold in the book Harold and the Purple Crayon, how he just draws the nine kinds of pie he likes best. The only other time I've been close was at our wedding, when we had twenty or thirty pies, strawberry and apple and some others. I think I was too busy celebrating to eat much of them, but they looked nice on the table!

I tried to make ice cream, but the ice cream maker no longer works. I'll return it, as one week of functionality isn't enough, but it was such a bummer to look forward to apple and pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream, and have just really sweet and creamy vanilla milk.

I thought it was a bit over the top rich, but I called it a milkshake and the boys drank it. Good for them.

That was on top of pounds of bacon in the oven, rice, and curry. How did I survive without my big sink?

The daffodils popped on Friday. There are more to come, but it felt like we went from no color to patches of yellow in just a few hours. We headed out to admire them, and Joe said, "They smell delicious!"

They smell like spring.

Phil and Jadon headed out for a men's overnight with the church in the midafternoon. I don't think Jadon has ever had an overnight before. He was the youngest by a good seven or eight years, but he spoke up apparently, and attempted small talk. Good for him!

I took advantage of a relatively empty house to indulge in a little March Madness. I remember one spring break, my family of origin rented a cottage in the mountains and watched hours and hours of March Madness for a week. We didn't have a tv, we didn't have any prior experience of college basketball, but that hooked us.

So, hooray for the local team, UVA, ranked #1. It was fun to watch them down by 10 for a bit, come back and dominate the second half.

Phil had planned to come home to do Saturday morning's milking. I'm assuming he's had enough camping to last a lifetime, because he was sleeping next to me when I woke up. Apparently the beds were not very comfortable, so he drove home in the middle of the night, slept, and did the milking before heading back for breakfast and more good guy time.

They came home close to 6pm, absolutely wiped out. Abraham had picked some daffodils and arranged them. They brighten up a room so nicely!

And while the boys had quiet movie night with Phil, I went to the annual Spring Fling party with friends.

It felt like a rich, fulfilling few days, even though, with the ice cream maker out of commission, we are drowning in milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment