Thursday, March 6, 2014

March 4: Long Bench Building

Phil tried milking Bianca today. Her calf, born on Sunday, is still nursing full-time, but she gave a quart or two, and stood fairly well, considering I haven't milked her in three years. And since he milked her first, Charity was not such a pill about coming.

With the incredible cold, Charity is certainly not giving much right now, maybe a gallon a day. We're keeping up with it, too. Last year, when I milked for a while, I somehow let the boys get in the habit of drinking milk with syrup. After a six month hiatus from milk, though, I've prevented their tastebuds reacclimating to sweetened milk. They can drink it straight, as they should.

Phil had a good day. We had tried to order some shoe storage benches from Ikea, but the only one that fit the space was not available. After his success with the built-ins, though, Phil figured he could build a nice bench, exactly suited to our space and needs.

He designed the eight foot long bench, drilled scores of holes, put scores of dowels into the holes, glued, clamped, and generally had a creative day of working with his hands.

I had a day of kicking myself. I figured out while on vacation in December that Caleb gets spitty when he eats pork. Last night, I made a pie with lard in the crust. All day, poor Caleb has been spitty. But other than that, it was a good day. I started to read The Candymakers and was so captivated that I didn't mind that the boys watched some Duck Dynasty with their dad. I read all evening. Sometimes it is a treat to fall into a book that way.

2 comments:

  1. Is Caleb already eating solids? Or, did you mean when you eat pork? CJ is by far my spittiest baby and I have already cut out all dairy, tomatoes, onions and caffeine. Never thought of pork causing it, and we eat a lot of bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb isn't eating solids; it's just when I eat it. I had to go on vacation and not eat pepperoni for a few days (pepperoni and provolone on fresh bread--yum!) to figure out that that was the issue.

    Caleb can't do tomatoes, grapefruit, and pork. I am glad he can tolerate onions--that would be hard to give up!

    ReplyDelete