Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Maybe 401 Trees Isn't Quite Enough

As today was a work-for-pay deadline day, I didn't get much accomplished outside. I half-expected a call from the post office to "come get your bees," but when I awoke to a light rain, and looked at the five children in various stages of dress and undress (Joe wore only a diaper; Abraham's clothes are best described as "none too clean"), I hoped the 30 minute or so round-trip drive to the post office could be delayed another day. Since my last attempt at backing out of the driveway in a rain left me desperately stuck-in-the-mud, I'm perfectly content to stay home when rain falls.

After the rain cleared, the weather reminded me of my lovely summer vacation visits to Grandma's house in Michigan. Warm, humid, clean-smelling, joyful weather.

I hoped to plant at least some of the ten plum trees. As I attempted to retrieve them from their heeled-in damp sawdust bed, only three trees came out individually. The other seven determinedly stuck together, roots entwined. Once free, I put them in our plastic "bathtub" (blue Rubbermaid) with water, and started the 24 hour countdown. Longer than that, and the trees drown.

By nightfall, I had eight in the ground (56 total to go!). Incredibly, my beautiful lasagna garden almost perfectly straddles the rows of plums. I will need to displace about a square foot of garlic for the one tree that's placed in the garden, but that's all! And how nice to know "for sure" where the trees go; it gives me the opportunity to plant squash and melons, corn and beans in the open spaces, and to expand the lasagna beds as I find time.

As the end of tree-planting approaches, I casually opened the Stark Bro's catalog. (Small advertisement: my Mom has gardened longer than I, and her experience shows that Stark Bro's offers the best quality for reasonable prices.) Maybe I shouldn't have looked in the catalog: there is plenty to, well, not covet, as that would be a sin, but, um, LONG FOR. Persimmons and pawpaws ("Tastes like vanilla custard"), almonds and chestnuts, grapes and blueberries—strawberries and blackberries that would bear THIS YEAR.

I may have only 56 trees left to plant right now, but I won't be surprised if that number increases again. I love fruit!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy...

    I sure have fun reading your reports. I know you are planting at the moment but I am thinking ahead and wonder. What do you do when all your trees are bearing fruit? Here in the apple and cherry country of Northern Germany... (My thoughts are particularly by the Cherries)... there are constantly gunshots going off in the orchards to scare the birds away... Do they ever love cherrys!!! Some places have huge nets over their orchards. I wonder what is done in the states?? or at your place? :-) One day you will be so far!

    ReplyDelete