Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nine Months and One Day

Yesterday marked nine months from the day we arrived on our land. It's been a growthful time for us all.

Phil worked on a proposal for work. He shoveled a truck load of wood chips and spread them around the animal's pen, so they would have a more pleasant lot to live in.

I dug holes and grieved. We planted eight trees (34 in house to go). The apiary owner called me, because vanishing bees right away like that is unusual. He left a message, because I was away from the phone. I don't know that I want another queen and the trauma to the hive of dividing whatever bees remain. That almost seems mean.

The remaining colony appears to be well. That Queen Esther is one smart cookie. I think that bees don't much like wind. It's been a breezy few days, and the two door holes opened into her living space. I had a horrible moment yesterday where I feared she, too, had vanished. But no, she had moved into the corner of the hive without any openings. No wind reaches her now! Brilliant.

The beautiful bees fly around the red clover, pollinating. They eat the sugar syrup. I hope they do well.

Abigail's Easter butterflies are doing well. As they emerge, we briefly hold them, then let them fly away.



Phil and I rolled a round bale into the animal pen this morning, rather than tossing forkfuls of hay over the fence. The animals enjoyed it. But rather than eating through a round bale in three or four days, I think they'll finish it by tomorrow morning. Twenty-four hours for 1200 pounds of feed seems a bit quick to me.



Today was a day of visitation. Our friend Faith (below, in red) came to visit one last time before she goes to get married, and she brought our friend Jenny (below, in green), from church. We had bacon and eggs and vegetables from the farm, and picked some tiny Alpine strawberries growing wild on the land.

They helped me plant four peach trees. Thirty to go (plus the 20 on order, making 50 trees altogether).



When they left, I climbed on the wood chip pile in our parking area, and waved goodbye while I sang a blessing over them. That felt like the right thing to do. I think that would be good to do whenever someone comes to visit.

While they were here, Phil's parents arrived in their motor home for a projected stay of several weeks.

As Faith and Jenny left, our friend Mollie Bush came to see the farm for the first time since the day we arrived. Funny: the day we arrived was the last time Phil's parents were here, too. How fun to show what we've been up to for the last nine months.

Among other errands, Phil redid the electrical wiring in the barn. He added a light switch and outlets. I've been working off of a plastic work light. This evening, I simply had to flip a switch and the barn was ... illuminated. Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy

    Greet your parents-in-laws from us as well. Esther still has fun remembering pancakes in their motor home! We had such a nice time at your place so long ago! (Abraham was just born!!)

    ReplyDelete