Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Good Gift, a Long Talk, and a Bad Faint


We started the day with a multi-hour conversation about critical path for our farm projects. What has to happen in the next two weeks to keep work progressing later on in the year? It's a lot of discussion and a lot of research.

Some examples:
  • How to store bulk feed? A hopper that hold 2 tons of grain costs about $1200: is that worth it? Do we need a hopper?

  • How important is the big greenhouse? We need a little space in a greenhouse for seedling planting: is a larger greenhouse a necessity or a luxury? (And, now that it's on order, do we put it up right away, or delay?)

  • Master grower Eliot Coleman puts two inches of peat moss on his garden the first time he grows. How much peat moss would we need to buy in order to cover our land? (We figured about 144 cubic yards of peat moss would be about right.) Where would we source that incredible quantity? How much would it cost to ship it? Is it worth it? (Haven't heard back from a source we contacted.)

  • Of the several metal buildings we've received quotes for, which of the buildings is the best value? Which has the most usable space? Is it a purchase we have to make this year?


After we settled, as best we can, these and other questions, we made a list of needed items, and Phil headed to Charlottesville to shop. Before he left, he was able to fill up the RV's water tank, which I appreciated. The backlog of dishes had grown extreme.

***

I was bringing the tacos for dinner to the trailer when Isaiah opened the door and yelled for me. I came in to find Jadon, writhing in pain on the floor, bleeding from his eye area.

We think he passed out and slammed his face onto the radiator. His upper eye lid is swollen and oozy, and he has a light burn along the side of his mouth. His hand, too, has a little blister on his wrist and one finger. He probably then fell onto the floor, since he has a little scratch on his chin.

Of all the places to pass out: the one spot in the house that could burn him. Thank you, Lord, that it isn't worse.

When a girl, I passed out a few times (usually at the sight of blood). My guess is that Jadon hadn't eaten enough of the food I made at lunch, and had low blood sugar. From now on: more protein for him.

***

An indifferent gift giver at the best of times, I managed to rouse myself enough this year to mail my grandma a Christmas package with little goodies from the farm. I was thrilled today to get a Christmas box from my grandma (approaching her 90th birthday!), filled with Dutch treats I remember fondly from my childhood. Sinterklaas, the Dutch Santa Claus, always left us a good Dutch chocolate letter from our initials. Six chocolate letters in the box for us today.

The boys also each got a pair of booties to keep their feet warm. I loved these as a child: beautiful, hand-knit booties. And I had a pair of hand-knit socks.

Grandma sent us Dutch Gouda cheese, chocolate sprinkles for bread (the beloved hajelslag, or /HAhl/, as we called it), and Wilhelmina peppermints. My grandpa used to give us Wilhelminas before church. We could suck on a peppermint when the service got a little long. So many happy memories in that box!

***

Two days ago, Phil let Isaiah drive the tractor for the first time. Three years ago, when Phil and I were thinking about farming, we were thinking about a six-acre lot in Boulder. My Dad said, "Amy, go somewhere that's big enough for your boys to drive a tractor."

And here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment