Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Ice Storm That Melted (as seen through an ill eye)


Thankfully, we live far out in the country and I don't have to see people terribly often. On Tuesday, I wondered if I was getting a stye in the eye, and yesterday I woke up and thought, "I think this is conjunctivitis." I had made it almost 32 years without a case, but I have been fighting it for the last two days. Nasty. (And tiring: I've even needed a nap the last three days! Until I also got a swollen lymph node today, I wondered if I was expecting. Fun though a new baby would be, that really might be a bit much for my plate at the moment.)

Yesterday, we finally had our first real precipitation of the year. We had a little over an inch of sprinkling rain, then pounding rain, then, perhaps, that most elusive of weather patterns called "sleet" (maybe), ending in snow. The ground this morning was an intense sheet of ice, but, with the weather warming soon to the 50s, the ice melted into mud. Still slippery, but not nearly so cold.

Phil, thankful for an indoor day, made incredible progress on transforming his office to a coherent space. He hasn't had access to his filing cabinet for much of the time since we moved here, so you can imagine the backlog of papers, compounded by my occasional box of books or sundry office supplies scattered around.

I spent some time actually plotting, on paper, two of the larger crops we have planned, the potatoes and the corn. What types are we getting? What sequential planting do they need? When does an undersown cover crop follow? Will another crop overwinter? What will be good days, biodynamically, to plant?

It took over three hours, just to figure out these two crops. I have about forty to go. (aaaaaaah!)

Our truck is finished at one shop. Phil drove it to the second shop today, and it may be ready for pickup tomorrow. Finally: real progress!

We watched one of Phil's Christmas presents, the movie Fresh today. It's not as hard-hitting as Food, Inc; much more cheerful and hopeful. Make a difference! Support a local farmer!

It was a good reminder of one reason why we're doing this. Sometimes I look too long at the mud and (soon to be removed) garbage, and forget that there is a more noble, or at least a bigger picture, goal.

And I woke up this morning and thought, "There will be time for everything we need to do." I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it is a cheerful thought.

There was time to work on a puzzle with Joe. He did the final adjustments, and was quite proud of the finished picture.

Tomorrow: we're scheduled to receive both our 1700 pounds of potting soil and our large greenhouse.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I love reading your day to day real-life happenings. I wanted to pitch in and say that you can put anti-bacterial ointment in your eye to clear up infections. I didn't know this till a couple of years ago and thought you had to get prescription stuff from a doctor, but you don't. Just get some triple antibiotic ointment and put a bit in a couple of times a day and your eye should be cleared up in a day or two or three. I usually put a bit in my other eye once a day too because it pretty much always gets infected if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof. Based on my symptoms (no discharge, gritty feeling), the internet makes me wonder if I have a viral, rather than bacterial, infection. But I will try the ointment, because, although it is noticeably better today, I am really not ready to go to church with pink eye. (!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better soon. I liked Fresh too - the tone is a little more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better!
    Have a wonderful day today, January 30th, dear cousin!

    ReplyDelete