Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Blocks Again!


Phil managed to get new belts for the chipper this morning at a local shop, but then we realized that the weather looks to have highs over 40 for the rest of the week. Block laying!

Since Phil has only laid blocks one day since November 24, neither of us could remember the ratio of sand:cement. (We had started at 3:1 and changed to 2:1.) The mortar consistency wasn't quite right. Phil jumped right in to a corner, which is not fast at the best of times.

At the end of the day, he had finished one corner (except for the top bond beam, which we don't have on site yet). Sixteen blocks.

A nice straight edge on one side, ready for a south-facing window one of these days.

I set up a couple of grow mats in the little greenhouse. I realized, though, that I don't think I can plant yet. After the moderately good success sprouting seeds two years ago in purchased potting soil, compared with the abysmal results of last year's homemade version, I think I'll spring for purchased product. And I don't have that here.

I also finally fed my Celadon beehive. It was fascinating, once I'd poured in sugar solution, to look at the observation sheet. There are pollen pellets and caps there. Caps! That means I've had baby bees emerge recently. The queen started laying at least three weeks ago, in mid-January!

Last Tuesday, when I checked the hives, I removed the mouse guard from Celadon. Immediately, a few bees flew out to orient themselves, about a foot from the hive. Their first flight. I would guess that those were hatched last fall, but maybe not.

No wonder the Celadon hive is hungry: trying to support babies in early February, when there is little growing.

The other two hives did not have clear evidence of babies, but they are certainly active. Damaris had wax flakes, showing that some bees have started constructing the frames already, usually only done in periods of warmth and plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment