Friday, February 15, 2013

First Daffodil


I was planting six more pawpaws in the orchard today when I glanced downslope and saw ... a fully blooming daffodil. Apparently, the spot right under a plum tree is the most ideal microclimate for that particular bulb. The day after Valentine's Day, and there is a splash of color for me to celebrate.

Phil has had two good days of work on the structure. The long wall, now that the corners are done, moves quickly. The photo is what he accomplished yesterday: he again worked until after dark.

We studied a bit of Jesus' final teaching to his disciples before the crucifixion yesterday, the beginning of John 15. Verse 2 says
Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
We talked about the pruning that comes on productive branches, and Phil brought up peaches. Peaches bear on new wood, and so if a person goes to a peach tree, expecting new fruit from last year's wood, that person is going to be disappointed. The tree can't rely on last year's productivity, but needs to be renewed.

I like that picture. There is productivity, and there is pruning, and there is new growth and new productivity, not because the husbandman does not like the tree's fruit, but because it's time for new fruitfulness.

1 comment:

  1. Celebrate the coming spring! How lovely! I can't wait to be further south where spring comes sooner! I'll just enjoy it via you until it reaches us :) I did see daffodils poking up, so that is a good sign!

    ReplyDelete