Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 7: A Lemon Cake Day

We had bought ten gallons of hydraulic fluid when we were in town on Sunday. Our friend Tyson delivered hay on Monday, and he mentioned that he had used the Tractor Supply brand hydraulic fluid on one of his large tractors, but the pump gummed up and, because the tractor had to be split apart, the repairs were something like $19,000.

Now our tractor didn't even cost that much, but since Tyson recommended a New Holland dealer that sells hydraulic fluid specifically for New Holland tractors, we figured it would be worth the 90-minute (one direction) trip. Even if the story is simply anecdotal, why take the chance?

I always feel a little bad about Isaiah's birthday. Even though it is a full two weeks after Christmas, I always feel like it sneaks up on me. And not only that but, because his birthday list is the same as his Christmas list, I don't usually even think about what to buy him until we know what he's received for Christmas, and if we happen to delay opening presents, that reduces my buying time even more.

Nevertheless, I think he had a good birthday. I made "Lykosh Chipotle," my version of the do-it-your-way burritos (brown rice, beans, corn, seasoned ground beef, with your choice of sour cream, cheese, salsa, sauteed vegetables, cilantro). He wanted lemon cake, so I made him one.

He liked our singing.

I didn't buy candles (does Whole Foods even have those?), but he laughed when we sang to a bare cake and pretended to blow them out.

And I think he was pleasantly surprised with the range of gifts he either has gotten or will get.

He had a few Adventures in Odyssey albums and a season of Mythbusters, and then we sat down with a gift card and his Christmas money and talked through what else he might like to receive. I am glad we did that, because, surprise!, his taste is not identical to mine. He is getting a time travel trilogy (back to the Three Musketeers!) by an author we enjoy, Stuart Gibbs (Gibbs wrote one of the most clever, unique chldren's books I've ever read, Belly Up); a book by one of our family's favorite authors, Andrew Clements (I have yet to read a book by Andrew Clements that I didn't enjoy, and most I absolutely love; one stunning book after another); a Rose Is Rose cartoon collection; and a ThinkFun game that I would never have picked because it didn't appeal to me. He's his own person. And we are happy to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment