Sunday, April 3, 2011

Algae Song of Thanksgiving

Dad and I spent most of Saturday planting chestnuts. Late in the afternoon, we ran out of space, with 166 trees left to go in the ground.

We went on a walk this afternoon. Six Lykoshes and my Dad, enjoying the sunshine and the trees.

I thought about the depressing moment on the tractor earlier this week, as I stood, barefoot in a beautiful patch of woods. Jadon had gathered algae for the chickens, then left the soggy, smelly ball in my hand. Joe cleared spots for my feet, while the three older boys ran up a steep slope. They all made it to the top, and then slid and jumped and ran down again, beaming with pride and joy.

I don't know of any songs of thanksgiving under the trees with a handful of algae, a blue sky with a few puffy clouds, four happy boys and three happy adults, but maybe that's as it should be. Some moments are too beautiful to capture in words.

2 comments:

  1. I know those moments--the ones you ponder in your heart. It makes me feel close to Christ at those moments. I know that digital cameras and texts could not capture that moment when Christ was born. Mary had to treasure up or ponder these things in her heart. I think moms understand this because of moments like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the joy continues into this, the 4th day of April, especially for Phil. May he have many more happy years ahead of him!

    ReplyDelete