Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Turkey's Not So Great Escape

I planted all day on Monday the 25th: 119 more tomatoes in the ground, two flats of basil (about 120 plants), and 50 raspberries. Fourteen trays; a record for me. These marathon planting sessions wear me out, especially when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing. My greenhouse had 77 more trays calling for attention, and I was starting to lose hope. Especially when I went to heel in the hazelnuts, elderberries, and hybrid poplars: their roots were all dry. Were they yet living? I left them in water overnight to soak, and tried to heel them in better on Tuesday morning. Before I plant, I think I want to see a sign of life.

Our van's "Check Engine" light had come on. We had intended to bring the van in for servicing in early December (the day the truck pooped out and I necessitated buying new tires about 40K miles early), so we were well overdue. Phil was not surprised to find that the left side brakes had given out and needed to be replaced.

We got a rental car, since the van would be in the shop overnight.

Tuesday, as we drove down the highway to town to get our van, the largest turkey I've ever seen in the wild charged the van.

I watched the bird, now deceased, fly backwards past the car. Phil, more perceptive, saw bits of plastic flying, too. He pulled over: massive damage to the light and body of the corner of the car. Ah, if we had just purchased the insurance policy. (It's my personal policy never to do so, but maybe I will rethink that.) In some ways, though, such a random occurrence: it makes me thankful it wasn't our own car.

Both the brakes and the turkey run-in are unexpected financial hits, large enough that, a year ago, I would have been prostrated. Now I think I've reached a place of either trust or expectation: what will happen next? How will the Lord provide?

Driving home in our own van, the first song that came on was the last track of Handel's Messiah: "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain and hath redeemed us to God by His blood." Amen.

My mom, sister, and niece all arrived for a short visit Tuesday night. They came bearing food (courtesy of Whole Foods catering) and ready to work. We were blessed with an overcast day, perfect for planting, and we put in the ground 32 flats of various vegetables and flowers. (A flat ready to be planted has between ten very large plants or 60+ smaller plants.)

We also entertained (and fed) five children, hiked for over an hour, held lambs, unloaded this month's feed delivery (almost two tons) and talked and laughed.

The Lord blessed us with several short, fierce rains, too, which watered our plants and our faces.

We are tired, filthy, but happy to be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment