Friday, April 1, 2011

Transplanting and No More Space


Phil helped Butch fix his bulldozer's starter. The electrical box wouldn't work, and Phil figured out the dozer needed a new starter. He was pleased to put a little of his electrical experience to work, and Butch was pleased not to have to call a repair man.

After the dozer was again working, Butch helped cut swales that Phil and Dad laid out, and Phil subsoiled. Then Dad was able to plant the rest of the day. He has a ways to go, but he's extended his stay, so we have hope of finishing.

He is running out of space faster than he is running out of trees. After he wondered aloud how he over-calculated the number of needed trees by almost a quarter, I started to laugh. I'm sure my Mom and I were talking and said, "Oh, you think we need 752 trees? Might as well order 1000; we'll find a good place for them." Hmm. Now the time is here, and we need to find a place. We could use some brilliant brainstorms. I would love to plant 150 chestnuts around the Lykosh land, but I'm not sure where they would go.

Phil fixed the steering wheel on the tractor, then subsoiled along the garden beds. Then he leveled land next to the future bee site, using the backhoe. He made great progress before dark fell.

I had intended to get over to help Dad, but with the new garden beds tilled, I had about six trays of greens desperately waiting to go outside, including beets and mustard greens.

I happily transplanted most of the afternoon.

What a beautiful sight, to see the late afternoon sun glow through the green leaves.

Before I did that, I counted the trays waiting for plants in the greenhouse: there were 17. I ordered 100, so I'm guessing I had 83 trays in use in the greenhouse. That's quite a few!

I have been steadily working on potting on tomatoes and cukes, doing 20 or 30 a day. I have many to go, but it's not overwhelming anymore. I do what I can, and that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment