Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And Now, the Rest of the Story

After picking up the bees, I went to milk Bianca and was horrified to find that her breath was raspy, as if she was snoring while awake, and her throat was swollen. I've seen a similar swollen throat last year: in the sheep we killed for food. But he wasn't raspy. Phil and I scanned our natural healing books: bovine pneumonia? Some form of parasite? Allergies? Will she need gentle treatment? Or do we need to put her down? We have no answers. I dosed her with aloe pellets, some kelp, sea minerals, and three homeopathic pills. And some prayer.

Sickness seems to be going around right now. Abraham, too, has a low grade fever and slept most of the day. I think he was worn out from late nights while my Dad was here. I have been reading about how fevers are restorative for children, so I'm not worried. He can use some rest.

I, too, though, have the flimsiest fingernails I've ever had. They bend backward when I put on gardening gloves. Ouch! And my heels are cracking and bleeding for the first time. This is minor compared with cancer, but since we want to be a farm that offers nutrient-dense food for good health, it upsets me.
Ironically, Phil broke a mug. (Can you read it? "I never make misteaks.")

I planted some of the Amish Moon and Stars Watermelon seeds that I started way too early. (I followed a reference book for the "Mid-Atlantic Region," so it seems that the watermelon could go out. However, I think we could get a frost any time for the next month or so; melons need warmth, without a hint of cold.) The plants have to go out, so rather than simply chuck them in the compost bin, I figured I would plant them out. Their yellow-speckled leaves are so pretty.

Although the ground was still damp from the rain yesterday morning, that moisture was not enough for the melons, which wilted quickly. We need better watering systems before we plant on a massive scale.

The tractor suddenly stopped working. It worked at noon, and when Phil went to start it up again at 5pm, it wouldn't even turn over. He removed the seat, opened the engine, couldn't figure it out. After reading online, he wondered if Joe had engaged the PTO when playing on it. Sure enough: a two second flip of a lever fixed the problem. We had hoped to move the layer chicks out to join their older aunties, but by the time the tractor was running, the hens had roosted for the night and their pen won't move to new ground until tomorrow.

In happier news, I hung my Christmas gift windchime outside my window. It has the most beautiful bell-like sound of any chime I've heard.

I was happy to receive my 1000 raspberry and 100 blackberry plants today. I am ready for fruit! And with all my practice last week in fast planting, well, it will still take a long time, but I think it's doable.

Also today: consider adjusting the swales; plant 10 chestnut trees. Phil puts fairly raw manure and hay several inches thick in our new pond, then pounds it down and begins to cover it with clay until the bees flying around his head unnerves him. This pack of organic matter, then clay, is called "gley." We hope it will create an impermeable barrier, so the pond will hold water. It doesn't at all, currently. When the ducks come, we want to be ready. (Even though, officially, ducks don't NEED water. I think they will like it.)

And that is farming. In one day: joy over new bees on dandelions; sorrow over dead ducklings. Fear over the future for the bees; fear for Bianca's life. Deep desire to be a healer, to have a farm of health and giving. Frustration that we don't have our systems in place; resignation that we're doing the best we can.

It's bewildering to me: how can one endeavor create so many emotions in such a short amount of time? Is that even healthy? How does one process this life?

One way is through blogging, I suppose.
***
Isaiah had the camera for much of the day. We downloaded 277 photos from today, so I give you some of the best.
Joe, making silly faces.

The bees, late in the afternoon, as they headed home for the night.

Jadon, always stressed when in front of the camera, here acting silly as he always must. But you can see in his face that he's such a nice boy.

Creative lighting on the Duplos gives just a hint of the toy chaos that often erupts only days after a thorough cleaning.

And me, on the phone, hoping the outdoor air will give me better phone service.

1 comment:

  1. Get a vet out for the cow. It's a big investment to lose.... I'm again batting worms but my cow vet knowledge is minimal...

    ReplyDelete